- ½ lb ground chicken beef, or pork
- ¼ cup white or yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" or smaller cubes (approx. 1 )
- ¼ cup frozen peas/carrots mix
- ¼ cup raisins golden variety preferred
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp agave syrup or to taste
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 Tbsp water---to moisten mixture. May add another Tbsp if needed.
- 1 package (7.5 oz) Chebe® All Purpose Bread Mix
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 large eggs (1 beaten and reserved for egg wash)
- 4 Tbsp milk or milk substitute
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- A few drops of water to make the dough more workable if necessary
In a large skillet, add soy sauce and sauté the meat on medium heat until slightly browned. Approximately 10 minutes. (Drain grease, if using beef or pork and add soy sauce afterward.)
Add the onion, garlic, potatoes and sauté for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked but a tad firm.
Add the frozen peas/carrots, raisins, agave syrup, salt, pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add 1 or 2 tbsp of water if the mixture appears dry. Remove from heat.
Preheat the oven to 375°.
Pour Chebe® mix and sugar into a large bowl. Stir to blend.
Add the eggs, milk, and oil. Blend well with a fork.
Knead the mixture by hand until the dough is smooth and pull apart 12 evenly-sized pieces to make 12 empanada wrappers.
Roll each piece into a ball and use a rolling pin (or your handto form dough circles. The circles should be approximately 5" in diameter.
Put a heaping Tbsp or so of filling into the middle of each dough circle. Press down on one side to form a half-circle. (Do not overfill, as you won't be able to neatly seal your empanada.) Using a fork, press along the outside edges of the empanadas to seal.
Brush egg wash on top of each empanada and place them on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe and photos by It’s A Wheatless Life.